Blog Archives

February 12, 2018 - 24 comments

My experiments with ‘design’ and design thinking

Design has never been something that I have paid much attention to. I had always thought that design meant something fancy and artistic.

This thought was reinforced by people like my grandmother who would always say stuff like “designer hai” when she wanted to hand down ancient stuff belonging to my grandfather to us. She would say it with an impressed look on her face and her tone would be that of one doing someone a huge favour.

I would always fall for it, whether it was a white jacket which belonged to my mother of all people or a Sony ‘walkman’ when I asked for an iPod. She was and still is the ultimate salesman. She would give us stuff which when bought by her would have been cool and in vogue, but by the time we came into the picture, it would sadly have been obsolete or out of fashion years ago, with the air of someone handing out latest Rolex watches and Armani suits for free. When I grew up, design still meant designer only to me. This is part of being Indian I guess. We judge a product based on how much we have to pay for it. This is depicted in a Bollywood movie, where the hero pays 4 thousand rupees for a guava to impress the heroine. Only an Indian heroine can be impressed with such randomness. Anyway, this was when all my friends started obsessing over Nike shoes and Fasttrack watches. I also wanted those. And that, to me, was the pinnacle of designer-ness. I never thought design and designer could mean something completely different. I have also found that a lot of people still have similar or different thoughts about design in general. Given below are some of my observations on design.

Advertising level: Grandmother

Action ka school time.

When I was in school, till around class 5, shoes used to be Bata. That was it. No thinking, no choice, no doubts. You wanted shoes, you went to Bata.  Those Bata shoes were expensive, heavy and tough to maintain. Then Action shoes entered the picture. They caused a sensation over-night. Everyone wanted to buy those shoes. Their ads were all over. Every kid wanted to wear action shoes to school. They were essentially the same as the Bata ones. They were plain and black. But they were still way more popular. But everyone’s reason for liking the shoes was very different. Some liked the ads, some parents found them affordable. But in retrospect, it was actually just good design. We did not realise it then. Those shoes were easy to clean and maintain because they were not leather, they were light so they made walking around easier, they were soft so they were more comfortable.

Our parents might have known all this and decided to pay for the pair of shoes, but as kids, we just wanted them ‘cause the next guy had ‘em. I am not even sure if our parents thought this to be ‘well designed’. The concept of appreciating design for something like a shoe was non-existent.

Wow! What a painting.

Yes, this is something I have seen a lot over the years. Most of us in our country have associated design with art. So, when there is a beautiful painting or a dance performance (Indian, it has to be Indian) or a sculpture of Indian Gods being analysed, one can hear comments such as, “Wow. Look at the design da. Too good.” Or “Wow. Simply mind-blowing!” (Mind-blowing is incidentally one of the top ten phrases that irritate me, but moving on…)

There will also be this critical person who has a squint and says nothing but “Hmmm….hmmm…hmm.hm.” The word design has automatically come to be associated with the stereotypical Parisian artist with a beret on his head, or a Bengali film maker with a dhoti and sports shoes. Design has not entered the common lexicon. For us, there is no well-designed pencil or a well-designed couch. The couch is comfortable and the pencil is affordable. End of story.

But…..b-but… I am a writer!

I am quite the noob (for those of you who don’t know, noob is a gaming term that means newbie, fresher, greenhorn. Take your pick) in the design industry. I have been working as a copywriter for a year now. Wait a minute, copywriter? Then why have I been talking about design for so long? What the hell do I know? That is what I thought too. I entered my own peaceful world of making mistakes in commas and full stops and verbs and adverbs (much to the chagrin of my boss) and thought that this was my world. But, here at work and in my interaction with a lot of truly creative people I have learnt that design is not for a specific group of people.

Design is universal. A door knob fits your hand – design. A wash basin is at the ideal height for you – design. You sit comfortably on a chair – design. The marriage between design and functionality is a long standing one, but still a relatively new one to me. I am slowly realising that design, good design, is more than important for life. Good design is like a basic necessity. If that famous Hindi movie title had to be re-written today, it would be, “Round roti, fitting ka kapda aur weather-proof ghar” which basically means that everything, including the basic necessities of our life have to be well designed!

Design today

One always sees different teams from various colleges and big companies coming up with great ideas and products; from all over the world.  But in these teams, it has been my observation that the designers are never Indians. For the most, Indians are always involved in the technical aspect of the project. In any of the bigger global companies, Indians have reached the upper echelons of technology, but not design.It might not be a huge loss or a great topic of debate when one thinks of all the other issues plaguing our country, but in the long run I feel this will make or break our collective futures.

Like I mentioned earlier, a huge chunk of the uninformed think that ‘drawing and painting’ is design. It makes me cringe when a classmate of mine, who was one of the best artists I have ever seen, join an IT company. And there are not one, but many such examples in my own small world.  From different people I have met over the past year, including my boss, I hear about the clarity and vision of interns from various European countries. For them, design is part of their psyche. It is an integral part of their brain and comes very naturally to them. Their system and culture has to be given credit for this. Their countries and their cities are so well designed! I feel that the only way to rise up to their level is by introducing design as a compulsory course in our schools from the lowest to the highest classes. It should be as important as maths, physics, chemistry and the other smorgasbord of scary subjects. If the kids of our country are taught design along with the current curriculum, then we would go a long way in ensuring that we are equals in the global rat race.

Published by: Rezonant in Blog

Comments

MathiasJuicy
September 28, 2018 at 4:51 am

Hi. I see that you don’t update your page too often.
I know that writing content is boring and time consuming.
But did you know that there is a tool that allows you to create new articles using existing
content (from article directories or other websites from your niche)?

And it does it very well. The new posts are high quality and pass
the copyscape test. Search in google and try: miftolo’s tools

MichaelTup
October 26, 2018 at 10:10 pm

wh0cd50936 vardenafil

how to buy btc with paypal no id
December 3, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Why rezonant.net loads so slow?

paysafecard to bitcoin
December 5, 2018 at 8:40 am

I got this website from my friend who informed me regarding this
website and now this time I am visiting this
site and reading very informative articles here.

big boobs daily
December 6, 2018 at 8:50 am

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish.

nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be
delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case
you shield this increase.

ShanonBig
December 10, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Hi. I have checked your rezonant.net and i see you’ve got some duplicate content so probably it is the reason that you don’t rank
hi in google. But you can fix this issue fast. There is a tool that generates content like human, just search in google:
miftolo’s tools

furtdso linopv
December 19, 2018 at 8:42 pm

Somebody essentially assist to make seriously articles I’d state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I amazed with the research you made to create this actual submit amazing. Wonderful job!

alexa düşürme yöntemleri
January 1, 2019 at 4:30 am

The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod’s. It works well, but isn’t as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that’s not an issue, but if you’re planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod’s larger screen and better browser may be important.

Alexa Hileleri, Alexa Hilesi
January 3, 2019 at 7:23 am

Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

Teknoloji Haberleri 2019
January 3, 2019 at 7:44 am

Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

Oyun Hileleri
January 3, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Zengin Sitesi
January 3, 2019 at 2:02 pm

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass’ favor.

Son Dakika Dünya Haberleri
January 3, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Kuşadası Escort
January 3, 2019 at 5:18 pm

Sorry for the huge review, but I’m really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.

Teri
January 14, 2019 at 10:59 pm

Hi all, here every person is sharing these experience, so it’s fastidious to
read this webpage, and I used to go to see this webpage every day.

pdf
January 26, 2019 at 7:33 pm

OW

January 31, 2019 at 8:16 am

Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any suggestions?

February 7, 2019 at 7:04 am

WI

boekhouding zzp
February 12, 2019 at 2:06 am

I every time used to study post in news papers but now as I
am a user of internet thus from now I am using net for content,
thanks to web.

Buch
February 12, 2019 at 9:44 am

PY

b2book.onlinewebshop.net
February 12, 2019 at 7:35 pm

EE

February 15, 2019 at 7:01 am

En Çok Satan Ve Yeni Yayınlanan Kitaplar En Son Okunan Romanlar

defter
February 15, 2019 at 11:42 am

En Son Çıkan En Iyi Kitaplar Avrupadan Kitap Siparişi

Eric Ebbing
February 20, 2019 at 1:22 am

I’m amazed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both equally educative and interesting, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The issue is something which too few folks are speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy I came across this in my search for something regarding this.